ABOUT THE PRODUCT
Carrot, (Daucus carota), herbaceous, generally biennial plant of the Apiaceae family that produces an edible taproot. Among common varieties root shapes range from globular to long, with lower ends blunt to pointed. Besides the orange-coloured roots, white-, yellow-, and purple-fleshed varieties are known.
It is crunchy, tasty, and highly nutritious. Carrots are a particularly good source of beta carotene, fiber, vitamin K1, potassium, and antioxidants. They also have several health benefits. They’re a weight-loss-friendly food and have been linked to lower cholesterol levels and improved eye health.
They’re rich in beta-carotene, a compound your body changes into vitamin A, which helps keep your eyes healthy. And beta-carotene helps protect your eyes from the sun and lowers your chances of cataracts and other eye problems. Yellow carrots have lutein, which is also good for your eyes.
STORAGE & USES
Short-Term Storage: Carrots can be stored in the refrigerator for up to a month if stored properly. Cut off carrot greens, place carrots in a container with lid and cover completely in water. Keep container in the refrigerator, changing the water ever 4-5 days.
1.Rinse, peel and then grate 550 grams carrots. In cup measurement, you will need 4 cups grated carrots.
- Grease a pan or tray with ½ tsp ghee and keep aside.
- Then in a kadai or thick bottomed pan, melt 2 tbsp ghee (clarified butter).
- Add the grated carrots.
- Mix very well.
- Then on a low to medium flame, with frequent stirring saute the carrots till they are almost cooked.
- takes about 10 to 12 minutes on a low to medium flame.
- then add 1 cup milk powder (100 to 105 grams).
- Mix the milk powder with the carrots very well.
- Saute for a minute.
- Then add ⅓ cup sugar and ½ tsp cardamom powder.
- Mix the sugar and cardamom powder with the rest of the ingredients very well.
- The mixture will loosen up as the sugar melts. Continue to saute with frequent stirrings for about 7 to 9 minutes on a low to medium flame. for a more firm and dense consistency in the barfi, you can cook for more 10 to 12 minutes. I wanted a less firm texture, so cooked for less time.
- When the mixture thickens and reduces, its time to switch off the flame. a test is to take a small mixture and cool it. Then roll into a small ball. It should easily form a ball.
Setting carrot burfi
- Immediately, pour the barfi mixture in the greased pan and with a spatula or spoon smoothen the top part.
- Sprinkle chopped pistachios (18 to 20 pistachios) on top and gently press them with a spoon or spatula on the halwa. You can also use any other dry fruits instead of pistachios.
- Cover and allow the barfi to cool and set at room temperature. You can also keep in the fridge after the barfi cools down at room temperature.
- Slice and Serve carrot barfi. the remaining portions can be refrigerated.