ABOUT THE PRODUCT
Cauliflower is cruciferous vegetable, a plant family that includes arugula, bok choy, broccoli, Brussels sprouts, cabbage, collard greens, kale, radishes, turnips and watercress. It has a rich supply of nutrients comparable to its green-colored relatives in the cruciferous family.
Despite its white color, cauliflower is a very versatile and vitamin-rich vegetable. It is a great source of vitamin C and folate and a good source of fiber and vitamin K. It is also rich in phytochemicals and antioxidants, two naturally occurring compounds thought to play a role in preventing chronic diseases.
Vitamins C and K and manganese are antioxidants that can neutralize free radicals before they can cause damage to healthy cells and contribute to disease, such as heart disease and cancer. Antioxidants such as vitamins K and C may help prevent conditions such as cancer, heart disease and arthritis.
STORAGE & USES
Cauliflower should be stored in the vegetable drawer of the refrigerator. You can keep it wrapped in a plastic bag till using. Cauliflower will stay fresh for about five days, when it starts to feel rubbery rather than firm, you know it is no longer fresh. If you only use half of a large cauliflower, wash the rest and keep it in a plastic bag till ready to use.
· 1 medium cauliflower cut into florets
· 2 tbsp oil
· 1 tbsp cumin seeds
· ½ tsp fennel seeds
· 1 onion diced
· 4 tsp minced garlic
· 1 tsp minced ginger
· 1 green chilli minced
· 2 ripe tomatoes chopped
· 1 tbsp ground coriander
· 1 tbsp kasmiri chilli powder
· 1 tbsp Kasturi methi
· ½ tsp garam masala
· 1-/2 tsp salt
· ½ tsp turmeric
· ¼ tsp black pepper1/4 cup + 2 tbsp water
· Coriander leaves for garnishing
- In a pan, heat oil and add cumin and fennel seeds. Once the seeds begin to splutter, add the onions.
- When the onions turn golden, add ginger, garlic, and serrano/green chili, stir, then add the tomatoes and cook for 10 minutes, or until the tomatoes become soft.
- Add the spices, stir, then add the cauliflower florets and water and mix well.
- Cover the pot with a lid and cook on medium heat for about 10-12 minutes, or until the cauliflower reaches your desired level of tenderness.
- Garnish with cilantro and enjoy!