ABOUT THE PRODUCT
Radishes are annual or biennial brassicaceous crops grown for their swollen tap roots which can be globular, tapering, or cylindrical. The root skin color ranges from white through pink, red, purple, yellow, and green to black, but the flesh is usually white. The roots obtain their color from anthocyanins.
Radishes lack starch, which is an easily digestible form of carbohydrate that quickly breaks down into simple sugars. The carbs in radishes are half simple sugars (glucose and fructose) and half fiber. Like most vegetables, radishes are not high in protein, although there is just under 1 gram in a cup of raw radish slices.
They are one of very low-calorie root vegetables. Fresh root provides just 16 calories per 100 grams. Nonetheless; they are an excellent source of antioxidants, electrolytes, minerals, vitamins, and dietary fiber.
STORAGE & USES
Remove their top greens since they rob nutrients off the roots if left intact. Then wash thoroughly with clean water to rid of surface dust and soil. Store them in a zip pouch or plastic bag in the refrigerator where they remain fresh for up to a week.
· 2 tsp oil
· 1 tbsp chana dal
· 1tbsp urad dal
· ½ tsp cumin seeds / jeera
· 1 tsp coriander seeds
· 3 dried red chillies
· 3 clove garlic
· 1 inch ginger
· 1 cup radish
· ¼ tsp turmeric
· 2 tbsp water
· Small piece tamarind
· ½ tsp salt
· 1 tbsp oil
· ½ tsp mustard
· Few curry leaves
· Pinch hing / asafoetida
- firstly, in a tawa heat 2 tsp oil and add 1 tbsp chana dal, 1 tbsp urad dal, ½ tsp cumin seeds, 1 tsp coriander seeds and 3 dried red chilli.
- saute on low to medium flame, until the dal turns golden brown.
- now add 3 clove garlic, 1 inch ginger, 1 cup radish and ¼ tsp turmeric.
- saute for a minute.
- furthermore, add 2 tbsp water and mix well.
- cover and cook on low flame for 5 minutes.
- cool completely and transfer to the blender.
- also, add small piece tamarind and ½ tsp salt.
- blend to a coarse paste without adding water.
- now prepare the tempering, by heating 1 tbsp oil.
- add ½ tsp mustard few curry leaves and pinch hing.
- allow to splutter and pour tempering over mulangi chutney.
- finally, mix radish chutney and enjoy with hot steamed rice, idli or dosa.