PALAK PAPPU RECIPE
- 1/2 cup moong dal
- 5 cups water
- 1/4 teaspoon turmeric powder
OTHER INGREDIENTS FOR PALAK PAPPU
- 5 teaspoon Indian sesame oil/gingelly oil
- 1/4 teaspoon mustard seeds
- 1/4 teaspoon cumin seeds
- 3 dried red chillies
- 2 sprigs curry leaves
- 1/4 teaspoon asafoetida (hing)
- 1 onion, finely chopped (half a cup)
- 6 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 2 green chillies, chopped
- 2 tomatoes, chopped (half a cup)
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon sambar powder
- 1 teaspoon coriander powder
- 3 cups Palak, chopped
- 1 teaspoon ghee
- Boil the dal with water and a little turmeric for 4 whistles in a pressure cooker. Wait for the pressure to release naturally. Set aside.
- Heat oil in a pan and add in the mustard seeds, cumin seeds, dry red chillies, curry leaves and asafoetida (hing). Let the mustard seeds crackle.
- Add in the finely chopped green chillies, onion and garlic. Saute till the onions are soft and slightly brown and the garlic is browned as well.
- Once the onions are slightly brown, add in the chopped tomatoes. Add in the salt at this stage. Cook for 3-4 minutes. Saute till the tomatoes are cooked and mushy. Add in the sambar powder and the coriander powder. saute for a minute.
- Add in the chopped palak and saute for 2-3 minutes until the palak is wilted and cooked well.
- Add in the cooked dal and simmer for a couple of minutes. If the curry is very thick, dilute with little hot water.
- Add in the ghee and mix well. The dal is ready.
- Serve hot with rice and ghee.